Teflon Back Actions

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:03:25 EDT

Ed writes:
> a 1970's D to write a proposal for major belly
>work.  It still has the original teflon bushed back action.  Are there
>any
>inate design or performance problems I should be alert for in the back
>action?  This would be the right time to replace it if justified.

Greetings,
   There are several things that come to mind.
    Looseness in the pinning, (clicks that are hard to repair),  and the
short arms that were in many of these.  Check to see what kind of geometry
you have, as I have seen several of this vintage that had the arms slanting
so far downward that they dug into the keyend felt and added an unwelcome
resistance as well as poor underlever travel.
   It isn't hard to justify replacing it if you want a complete performance
level piano.
Good luck,
Ed Foote RPT