Belly work was Re: Teflon Back Actions

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 09:14:33 EDT

ed440@mindspring.com writes:

> Next month I'll be examining a 1970's D to write a proposal for major belly
> work.

Since Don brought up the subject of belly work, I have a question abut this.
To me, belly work consists of new pin block and new soundboard (and
everything that goes along with that). It has been my experience that most
good piano, and especially Steinways, will not need any kind of belly work
for a minimum of 50 years. The exception, of course, is damage, like fire, or
flood, or a ceiling falling on the piano.
But I have seen less than 50 year old pianos in istitutions getting new
soundboard and pin blocks. Is this really justified?  Are pianos used in
institutions more susceptible to needing major work than "in home" pianos? It
would seem to me that regular maintenance will keep these pianos in better
condition. Am I missing something here?

Wim

PS. Don, as far as replacing the back action, in my opinion, any time you can
get rid of a Teflon action, do it. When someone is going to spend a lot of
money on rebuilding a piano, I don't think a customer would reject the whole
bid because of the couple of hundred dollars it will take to replace the back
action, especially if you tell her about the consequences of not getting it
done now.