Shank/Flange Weights

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Wed, 09 Oct 2002 13:05:00 -0500

Jon & List,

>It's not the actual weight of the s/f but he levered weight which the string.
>
>With center pin on a pivot off the scale (flange is straight up - no
>weight effect) place the hammer end on a riser on the scale where
>the hammer is glued.
>
>You will find the weight then to be in the range of 1.5g to 2 g
>
>Regards,
>
>Jon

Jon & List,

OK, the light bulb finally went off about the total weight not mattering.
The flange is out of the picture when it's screwed to the rail!! Duh!!!

It's going to be like pulling teeth, but I'm determined to learn how to
do this! Sorry for the novice questions.

Below is a sample of what I came up with by just arranging the s/f left
to right, light to heavy and also weighing the hammers. At the bottom are
also a few readings at the thinned shank area.

To determine the best order for installing the shanks, do you go by the
shank strike weight or the strike weight? Light on #1 graduating to
heavier until the thinned shank area then then the same thing there?

What else do I need to do before gluing on the hammers to cut down as
much as possible on evening things out later?

SS     HW     SW

1.5    8.8    10.3
1.6    8.9    10.4
1.6    9.3    10.9
1.5    9.3    10.8
1.5    9.2    10.7
1.5    9.2    10.7
1.6    8.8    10.4
1.5    8.9    10.4
1.6    8.9    10.5
1.6    8.7    10.3
1.5    9.3    10.8
1.5    9.5    11
1.5    9.4    10.9
1.5    9.4    10.9
1.6    9.4    11
1.6    9.2    10.8
1.6    9.4    11
1.6    9.1    10.7
1.7    9      10.7
1.7    8.9    10.6
1.6    9      10.6
1.6    8.8    10.4
1.7    8.6    10.3
1.6    8.8    10.4
1.7    8.7    10.4
1.7    8.6    10.3
(tenor break)
1.7    8.7    10.4

2      4.9     6.9
1.4    4.8     6.2 (1st thinned shank)
1.5    5.3     6.8
1.3    5.3     6.6
1.3    5.4     6.7

Any comments or suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Regards,
Avery