Shank/Flange Weights

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Wed, 09 Oct 2002 08:32:44 -0500

Richard,

One of these days, I'll get all this straight in my mind!!!!!! :-)

>Depends a bit on the hammers themselves for me, but usually I end up
>with the lightest shanks for the bass... lightest of these at key
>number 1. Then the heaviest of shanks starts at the lowest tenor note.
>
>I weigh hammers as well ahead of time so if there is any of these that
>for whatever reasons are lots heavier or lighter then its neighbors I
>can match that with an appropriate shank to sort of even out a bit.

So you're referring now to the type of overall weight I mentioned in
my original post? Not SW?

In other words, basically if my lightest s/f weight was 6.8g, you'd
put that one on note #1 and graduate it on up, getting heavier, to the
break?

Then at that point, if my heaviest s/f was 8.2g, you'd put that one at
the first tenor note and graduate that on up, getting lighter, until the
thinned shanks start and begin those with the lightest, getting heavier
on up to #88?

I understand about the S/W and maybe doing some matching with hammer
weight and can do that but it seems, as I "think" you are saying here,
that the overall s/f weight should also enter into the general placement
of the shanks before the hammers are glued on.

Am I correct or am I just still trying to see through muddy water? :-)

Avery