EBVT Offsets (compilation)

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 06:43:05 EDT

Kent wrote:
>>including having the ability to explain the relative beat rates
> that are forming the key colors they are hearing in the esoteric
> temperament we just tuned for them.  :)

Ric asks:
>Ok, start explaining,  what exactly in the HT's forms key colors
> and how is this absent from ET?   What is confusing to me is lack
> of a definition of key color itself especially when applied to
> temperament.

    Gee,  Ric, are you asking or trolling?  Key color is the same as "level
of expression", which is based on psycho-emotive effects resulting from
various levels of dissonance.  We know that consonance is sedative and
dissonance is stimulative, so it isn't a real stretch to understand that
varying their amounts in music will cause the emotional state of the
sensitive listener to be affected.
     Listening to the WTC C# prelude on a Werckmeister tuning will
demonstrate this effect if you hear it in C# and then listen to it played in
C.  The C#, with its highly tempered,(albeit masked by alteration) thirds
creates a more stimulative sound.  "Color" might not perfectly address this
difference, but "level of expression" certainly does it for me.
    Aside from "color" and all the baggage that goes with it,  how about the
temperature of temperaments?  It is not uncommon for musicians to describe
the difference between ET and WT in terms of heat!  When I have two pianos
side by side in these temperamenti (!),  the common response is that the WT
sounds "warmer".  Why would this be so?  I believe it results from there
being a textural aspect to the WT that the ET lacks, ie, the ET has only one
size of third and fifth, while the WT offers contrasts on a tonal level.

      What I find is that in the hands of Classical composers, the use of
these various "colors" seems to follow predictable expectations.  It is rare
to find a musical resolution that moves from a less tempered triad to a more
highly tempered one, unless the musical intention was to create anticipation.
 Sonatas almost always ended by moving from more highly tempered regions
downward to greater consonance, as modulating "up" would have created rising
expectations that would be unmet when the music ended.  This characteristic
faded as the use of ET rose and the "colors" faded.
     It is also more than coincidental that the number of piano compositions
in the various keys indicates that the keys with the most dissonance are the
ones that are used least!  Compare the number of piano sonatas in F# to the
number of them in C.  If we look at Beethoven's output, we see that, with the
exception of Eb, which he used more than anything,  the keys are used in
numbers that mimic a reverse graph of thirds' widths!   The more "expressive"
keys were used as the home key least.  I suggest that this is because if one
were to start in F#,  it is hard to "go" somewhere and then comfortably
return.  I have a musicologist presently working on this, will hopefully have
a new set of charts by winter.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT