EBVT Offsets (compilation)

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 13:48:21 +0200

Hello,

Kent, esoteric is the good word , in musician's mind, that is
something a little too marginal, as they seem to prefer a very even
and well voiced action to the most gorgeous Well tuning.

I like to have some distance from pure ET sometime, but I may be first
in the complete evening of the tone & touch, and ET helps a lot to
check things.

I believe that HT may not take power to the music, that is the risk
IMHO.

I've hear of Richard wanting to tune meantone on a modern grand, I
doubt any pianist will be pleased with that, even to play Rameau, on
an historical instrument that's a totally different story, the modern
grand lend naturally more to a less contrasted tuning.

But may be I am too far from their taste after all.

A very little tweaking of Et this summer gives some harmonic shade and
a bit more contrast to a Steinway that where a little unlived, but the
best pianists noticed it, as they find different marks from ET (while
not being bothered with).

I tuned aurally a few EBVT, but find it too crude and bland (C Major
tuning)
It changed even the way I tune unisons, it is too cold for my taste ,
but I was probably far from what the conceptor does.

One of our best retired tuners produced a very tweaked tuning
sometime, and recon ciliate the tenths and 17ths while going along the
scale, but his tone where more round and pleasing that what I obtained
with this too much pure filths tuning.

I could not obtain his bearing plan, as he stopped working and the
trade get him almost crazy so he does not want to speak to nobody now.

I will take time to work on that ... later.

Regards.

Isaac OLEG