Low Frequency Voicing

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 11:37:38 +0200

Hello,

I would say that , on Steinways anyway, the use of (so called)
"battery needling" , as explained by Antares, in the low and medium
basses pay immediately.

No need to needle the shoulders at all most of the time, the base
needling give them enough give (but from the inside, leaving the
external more tensioned) , and then the whole mass of the hammer is
involved in tone production.
Same method used on Bechstein from what I see. And sure there is a
need for hammers in the high range of weight for these instruments.
Modern hammers are often a little lighter than those from 20 years ago
around 1 g in the basses.

Beside, some pianos have it more or less, but I've find too that the
correct regulation of the weight (pressure) of the frame is more than
very important.

It even allows to correct the hammer's lack of resilience if any,
adding a bit more pressure, while giving more force leverage to the
keys, give some power to the attack of the tone because more
transmission between action and keybed.
To the point one of the older techs from a well known make in Paris ,
regulate the key level on Steinways up to 67 mm (2mm higher), that add
enough power to mask the poorness of non resilient hammers .

I just hang a new set on a concert grand, and the bass where done with
6 - 8 slow strong definite jabs with 3 6 mm needles in the zone just
above the staple ( the felt end is relaxed). The piano gives all the
tone it can, a little top needling will be necessary with time but it
is a very fast and efficient way me guess.

In the basses I've always find that shoulder needling make lost too
much power soon, assuming the felt is not stone hard from the start of
course.

Having all the hammer mass moving gives always a deeper tone I find.
that is why on Yamaha hardened base hammer the hardness of the base I
always hear a bit as something missing in the tone.

Regards.

Isaac OLEG