EBVT Offsets (compilation)

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 15:25:19 EDT

Kent writes:
>At the risk of walking into a minefield here, there are ETD-based
>temperaments out there for which no guidelines for the absolute /
>relative beating, "beatless, equal beating, nearly equal beating"
>intervals are available. So the tuner _cannot_ listen and adjust as
>necessary. Not a good thing, IMO.

Greetings,
   There is a point of diminishing returns involved in these decisions.  If a
particular harmonic quality depends on distinctions of less than one cent,
there are going to be few pianos or venues where they will make any
difference.  Pianos move around.   Octaves that vary by 1 cent will usually
not be noticed by musicians, and the effect of an equal beating triad is
rarely altered by the amount of divergence a machine-only tuning allows.
This is more true of well-scaled pianos.  Any short scale spinet can be
better tuned by ear, since the machines don't make compromises very well,(the
VT may do better than the others, depending on operator skill).
   Also, the difference between a fifth that is Just and one that has 1 cent
of tempering in not a difference that can be heard in the music, unless there
is a particular use, in isolation, that sustains long enough.  Or, to put in
another way, in fast passage work,(Scarlatti?) the tuning is almost
irrelevant.
    It is also seen that due to the coupled nature of piano strings, they can
"draw" one another away from the pitch that would be produced in isolation.
(hold down an ET C3-E3 and strike a staccato on the E5.  You will not hear
the beating for a couple of seconds, then the "drawing" created by the single
frequency of E5 will be overcome by the resonant periods of the lower strings
and you will hear the beating begin).
    As we tuners go through measuring intervals, we are hearing phenomena on
a degree of scale that musicians don't.  I have seen this in changing the
stretch for studio engineers and musicians.  Even the most astute ears didn't
hear the difference between two tunings where the final C's ended up 10 cents
apart.  I have tuned the top octaves of a piano with so much stretch that it
almost sounded like two different notes, but the group of techs in front of
me didn't notice anything until I pointed it out.  Only when the single
octaves were played in slow movements did it become apparent.

    It has become evident in the last 9 years that the arrival of the
programmable machine has had a lot to do with the increased use of the
temperaments. Though the knowledge required has been out for decades, working
tuners never took up the cause, and I think it had to do with the amount of
work involved.   However, there have now been far too many pianists
successfully playing many venues and pieces, on machine-based non-ET tunings
to think that the ETD can't produce.  They can.  I have seen world class
artists blown away by a straight FAC, so I wonder if my 1 cent "tweaks" are
really worth the effort.
    (I am reminded of the first Sight-O-Tuner, which produced a tuning that
Arthur Fiedler thought highly of!).  I also believe that Jim Coleman has
demonstrated a machine only tuning that compared nicely with the best of the
best ET tuners we have.
   The machines aren't perfect, but they don't need to be in order to produce
results that far exceed musicians ability to discriminate.  Many of us that
learned to tune strictly aurally will always believe that the ear will always
outperform the machine, but you will have a hard time finding musicians that
can tell any difference between highly skilled techs using either.  ( I will
be giving an aural demo at the chapter meeting this week and will try to
record what differences are noted between the machines interpretation and my
own).
Regards,
Ed Foote