piano evaluation

Richard West rwest1@unl.edu
Fri, 04 Oct 2002 10:29:22 -0500

Hello, All,

We have a Mason & Hamlin BB this semester as part of a program by M&H to
loan a piano to universities so that they may evaluate M&H pianos and
become more acquainted with the brand.  They are soliciting input from
the school of music regarding how well the piano was received by
students and faculty.  I thought this could be a good educational
opportunity for our students and faculty in how to go about evaluating
pianos.

Have any of you made up some sort of form to help pianists evaluate
pianos?  Do any of you have some suggestions for questions that might
help teachers focus on the issues that are important to them.  I'm
thinking specifically of when pianists go to music stores or factories
to pick out a specific piano for use at the university.  As technicians
we look at a piano differently than players.  What questions would help
players in evaluating/selecting pianos?   What criteria should players
be listening for?  Are there questions that would help them focus on
certain issues that would help them make comparisons?

Some questions that I have come up with off the top of my head are:

What is your overall opinion of the piano?
Are there areas that sound stronger/weaker?
Are there keys that don't work properly?
How is the repetition?
Can you control soft playing?
Do the pedals operate properly?

I don't know if any of these questions are really that good, but I hope
you can get an idea of the direction I'm wanting to go with this
evaluation project.  In the end I would like a short set of questions
that students and faculty could answer.  The answers would give me and
the manufacturer an idea of how the piano was received and it might
educate educators about picking out and evaluating instruments.

Richard West, University of Nebraska