Low Frequency Voicing

Tim Coates tcoates@dtgnet.com
Wed, 02 Oct 2002 21:23:36 -0500

Hi Richard,

I pay a certain amount of attention to hammer weight, but not as in-depth as a
total Stanwood design.  I pay close attention to leverage and location of the
hammer on the shank.  I find most factory SS hammers to be to far out on the
shank, which IMHO creates a leverage problem.

I prefer a heavy hammer, but to be honest, I haven't checked the weight on one
piano I would like to be deeper in tone.  That is a great point!  I can always
make the hammers heavier.  The up/down numbers have some room to spare (can't
remember exactly what they are right this instant).

I also like Roger Jolly's suggestion of using good custom bass strings.  The
area that won't help is above the bass strings, though.

Please keep the ideas coming!

Tim Coates
Wapin Co., LLP