Fortepiano Wire (was Re: Brass wire)

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 11:01:48 -0500

>Jeff,
>If you are saying to put a clip between the tuning pin and the nut (front
>termination point), I think I would opt to replace the whole string, but I
>have all the required wire here for our instruments.

No, I was saying to unwind the coil from the tuning pin and use it at the
hitch pin end the same way you're saying use the paper clip.

>  The funny
>thing here is that the technician prior to me at KSU spliced several
>strings using typical splices that are still holding quite well between the
>tuning pins and nut, both brass and iron.

This was what I tried, but the splice failed.

  I think he was very careful when
>slowly bringing the pitch up.

So was I.  Both times it broke just as I was approaching pitch.

 Memory fails me at this point, but I think
>he pinched the top and bottom together (with his fingers?) from the flat
>side when increasing tension.  That kept everything tight so that the part
>of the wire in the splice that presses down on the end piece didn't slip
>out prematurely or have too much tension applied to it, and the tension
>increase pulled the knot tight before it even got to the held-down end
>piece, making the knot smaller.  Periodically he was pinching the sides of
>the knot to coax movement in the "round" areas of the splice.

I wasn't about to put my fingers anywhere near that splice as I brought the
pitch up.  Thought about it, but then thought again.  I like my fingerprint
designs just fine as they are!

Jeff