Fortepiano Wire (was Re: Brass wire)

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 09:39:59 -0500

Blaine,
I just had a thought.  How do you think it would work to carefully unwind
the old string off the pin and try the same trick using the unwound coil?
If the loop will hold without breaking with the paper clip trick, what
would be the difference?

The place where my string broke when I attempted to use a piano string
splice was the bend in the wire created where it crosses the loops, very
similar to how how it crosses the "capo".  Broke in the same place both
tries, both times on the tuning pin side of the splice.  May have simply
been faulty wire, who knows?

Thanks to all for the links/tips, etc.
Jeff

Jeff Tanner