Fortepiano Wire (was Re: Brass wire)

Blaine Vesely bvesely@kent.edu
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 09:20:15 -0500

Wire and other supplies can be purchased from Lutz via the following
addresses and numbers:

http://www.fortepiano.com/
workshhop@fortepiano.com
The Instrument WorkshopP.O. Box 1060 (7793 Hwy. 66)Ashland, OR
97520Telephone: 541 552 0989
Toll free (US/Canada): 800 442 6038Fax: 541 488 5846

Strings quite often break where the string leaves the tuning pin coils.  A
method told to me by a harpsichord maker when in a pinch is to use a large
paper clip at the hitch pin loop.   Bend the paper clip straight, put two
loops on each end as you would put in a single string hitchpin loop (don't
forget to thread the clip through the existing loop on the old string
first), and put the other end over the hitchpin.  It doesn't have to be
pretty as it is functioning as a strong spacer.  You will get 2 - 3 inches
more to play with at the tuning pin and will be able to get 3 - 5 windings
around the pin (on a harpsichord).  A small paper clip may be all that can
be used in the upper part of the scale before it interferes with the
bridge.  The string is already stretched, and if the paper clip is pretty
straight, tuning will not be the problem as it would be if a new string was
used.  There are probably a lot of different ways to fasten an old string
in this manner--some types of picture hanging supplies come to mind.  I
have one string that still has the paper clip on and it is holding fine.  I
also have a large and small paper clip in my harpsichord tool box with a
loop on one end waiting for this type of inevitable breakage.

Blaine Vesely
Kent, Ohio