fingerprints

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 20:36:10 +0100

Hello,

Yes Fred, I agree with that (and hence I can shape a set in a very
short time without too much mating after that).

Shaping, then giving back some power, and balance again the tone, is a
too large job if the hammers are to be changed.

If I accept to do that, the repair will not be done. All the good
techs around me say the same, that if they show the customer what they
are able to obtain with their old worn hammers, one year later, the
customer is yet asking you the same work, and takes you for an idiot.

So I try to stand more firm on that actually (and I loose some
customers too)

I loosed some before also by making for them a quick fix, and giving
them the real evaluation of what the piano need. After that they are
afraid to call me back and they prefer to found a less exigent tech.
But I am naive, I remember a despaired customer with a 2.20
Bosendorfer, where the action was so much out of regulation that the
dampers where ringing always.
There she was very friendly, but since I fix that in a pinch, she was
pleased with her piano for another year or more.

In an university, I guess things are different. Of course the main
concern is breaking strings, because of too worn hammers. But why not
begin immediately the repair ? If they can't use the piano, things
will be done soon.

It is not that hard to have the old hammers in their good place, and
even if filed they will have to be there.

Best Regards.

Isaac OLEG