humidifier brand and model?

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 14:58:39 -0600

Congratulations Jean-Marc, on your appointment as head pianotech, and also
on receiving a new shop.

I don't suppose my shop is much bigger (than 700 sq. feet), and it allows
several projects (including full re-bellying) to happen at once. Your new
shop should work out very nicely!

Pardon my ignorance, but why would you want or need a shop humidifier?

I presume winter-heating coincides with most of your school year, as it does
here in Manitoba, and I find it valuable to have shop conditions similar (or
slightly drier) to piano-usage rooms for several reasons:

1.) parts soaked for felt removal (keys, damper-heads, wippen heels, etc.)
return to EMC very quickly.

2.) regulation values (let-off, etc.) are set at the very closest tolerance
in the shop, knowing they will only widen (slightly higher humidity) in
their actual area of use, if not stay exactly the same.

3.) rebuilding work: many times the soundboard will not have to go back into
the hotbox, because the shop is already dry enough.

I see the dryness as an asset, but our climates are not the same. Perhaps
you have very good reasons for needing the humidity?

thanks,
and please accept my best regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University