Hateful little F DAMPER

Mary Smith MarySmith@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 15:21:50 -0600

Weighing in, so to speak... Del Fandrich contends that weight in the
damper head itself can help solve this annoying (or hateful, as you
so accurately put it) little problem. That is, put a small key lead
in the damper head itself to provide more mass to stop the partials.
You can try pressing down gently on the top of the damper to see if
more weight will help before you go drilling holes in the head. Also,
I would err on the side of moving the damper a little further forward
(either by gluing the felt further forward on the head, or by
re-bending the wire, or replacing the wire and putting the bend
further forward), rather than back under the plate strut. Perhaps you
can avoid activating partials you don't want to hear. These things,
plus what everyone else has said, can work. As I've said on this list
before, sometimes it's an art not a science.

Mary