Hateful little F DAMPER

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Tue, 05 Nov 2002 14:29:38 -0600

Hi, Michael-
    Try this and tell us if it works:
    Listening at the level of the offending partial, slightly mis-tune one
of the unisons to beat about twice or thrice per second at the level of the
offending partial.
    The out of phase partials will prevent the damper from wobbling in phase
with the partial, which is one cause of a single singing partial.
    This works if the over-ring is at the 8th partial of that F, I don't
know if it works at the 5th.
    The slight detuning usually helps smooth the break as well, since the
next note down is a bi-chord.
    Also check that the damper head is tight on its wire.
    This is not meant to imply that I have mastered dampers!  Come on!
        Ed Sutton