1st partial

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 18:08:56 -0600

Assuming what you mean is that he played a strong blow and then released the
key, i.e. "ghosted",and that the higher note, unplayed, continued to sound
at its fundamental pitch as long as its key was held down, I can get the
result your prof wants on a 4 year old P-22, all the way down to A1.
The octaves are in between 6/3 and 8/4 on this piano in the low bass.
String design and age might influence this (mostly age), but it happens
everywhere on the piano, since the upper note has all its partials in common
with the lower.
You might check to see if you followed the wrong partial when tuning the
lower octave.
Ed S.

----------
From: Wimblees@aol.com
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: 1st partial
Date: Thu, Oct 31, 2002, 2:45 PM

One of the piano profs called me into his office and asked if I could tune
the 1st octave so that more of the 1st partial can be heard.

He played C2 while holding down C3, and the first partial sounded on C3. But
when he held down C2, and played C1, the first partial wasn't there. Such
was also the case in all the notes from A0 - B1.

How can I tune that first octave to have the first partial sound on the
octave above?

I use a SATIII, using the program from Sanderson.

Wim