Accu-just HPs in Steinway D :

Fri May 31 12:30 MDT 2002

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jon Page=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: May 31, 2002 11:01 AM
  Subject: Re: Accu-just HPs in Steinway D :

  At 09:55 AM 5/31/2002 -0700, you wrote:
  string placement approximately as high as it would be if it passed =
over the original back bearing bar -- usually 3 to 5 mm above the plate =
surface through the tenor/treble. They can ride as much as 5 to 7 mm off =
the plate surface in the bass -- where the vertical hitchpin is most =
benificial anyway -- without problems.=20

  Del,
  Could the hitch pins be replaced with roll pins or tension pins to =
eliminate the rear duplex if the plate were to be situated properly for =
this height?
Sometimes. Some hitchpin holes are drilled at a back angle. Depending on =
how acute this angle is it may be better to lay out a new hitchpin =
plane.

  Would larger vertical pins be installed or could you use the same size =
as the original h/p's? The bearing bar in the tenor would have to be =
ground down.
We typically use two diameters of hitches -- 3/16" (approx. 4.75 mm) and =
7/32" (approx. 5.5 mm). These are generally larger than the original =
hitches. In addition to the typical roll pin, we also use something =
called a groove pin. See pin type 67 at:
        http://www.groov-pin.com/pin-type.htm
This is the type of pin I designed into the Walter 190 plate.

If there is a cast bearing bar then, yes, it would be ground down for =
string clearance.=20

I might mention, though, that we more often convert to vertical hitches =
just through the bass section where the advantages are most noticable. =
I'll do most anything to stretch out the backscale length in the bass. =
In my Chicago class I'll have pictures of a manganese bronze casting =
we've made for M&H BB plate to lengthen the backscale. Sadly, the piano =
won't be there.

Del