Accu-just HPs in Steinway D :

Fri May 31 11:17 MDT 2002

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jon Page=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: May 31, 2002 3:36 AM
  Subject: Re: Accu-just HPs in Steinway D :

    Maybe the retrofitter worked those numbers, listened to the finished =
piano, and was satisfied.  But we have no idea.=20

  My concern would be over the integrity of the plate in the HP area. =
Del pointed out some time ago that this area
  is not thick enough to support vertical HP's reliably, the bass is but =
not the treble. Is there room under the plate
  to install a thickness of metal to brace the area or would that be =
warranted?

Actually, it is but one must use at least a moderate amount of common =
sense. The Baldwin plate was thickened to prevent breakage if the =
strings were placed quite high on the pin. I've seen some of them 12 to =
15 mm up on the pin. That placement puts quite a stress on the plate. =
The S&S plate is thick enough to accomodate a string placement =
approximately as high as it would be if it passed over the original back =
bearing bar -- usually 3 to 5 mm above the plate surface through the =
tenor/treble. They can ride as much as 5 to 7 mm off the plate surface =
in the bass -- where the vertical hitchpin is most benificial anyway -- =
without problems.=20

The problem comes in when the technician uses the vertical hitch to =
accomodate poor placement of the plate or poor control over the bridge =
height.=20

One reason -- perhaps the major reason -- why Baldwin introduced the =
vertical hitch was to facilitate manufacturing. In my own work, however, =
I've come to realize it actually provides a superior string termination =
and we use them quite a lot. I don't know if Mr Conklin understood all =
of its acoustical advantages or not -- I don't recall reading anything =
he may have written about them -- but I expect he did. He is a pretty =
smart and thoughtful man.

  Here's something else to look forward to...maybe with the HP mod, the =
rim bolts are the double-thread type used by Baldwin.

This is not so easily done. The fit on most S&S plates is rather poorly =
done and seemed to require a lot of hogging away of metal to enlarge =
and/or elongate the plate bolt holes. There often is very little metal =
left. We tried fitting inserts a couple of times but the benifits gained =
weren't worth the trouble.

Del