Accu-just HPs in Steinway D :(

Fri May 31 11:17 MDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Sutton" <ed440@mindspring.com>
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: May 31, 2002 9:06 AM
Subject: Re: Accu-just HPs in Steinway D :(

> Is it a violation of patent for a private technician to install vertical
> roll pin (aka "Accu-just') hitch pins on a piano?
> Baldwin gave permission for technicians to retrofit their plate bolt
> systems.
> Did they also give permission to retrofit Accu-just pins?
> "Just Curious"
> aka ES

The patent expired in the late 1980s, as I recall. Subsequent to that I
designed the Walter 190 grand using vertical hitch pins (though not of the
same type as used by Baldwin).

I've long considered the vertical hitchpin to provide a superior back string
termination and am still curious why other manufacturers have not at least
tried them. Other than Story & Clark I don't think anyone has.

Tradition, I guess. And probably a liberal amount of fear at rocking an
obviously sinking boat.

Del