Accu-just HPs in Steinway D :

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Fri May 31 00:51 MDT 2002

Always eloquent Ron,

Ah, the joys of sticking my neck out for you to buzz off - as in my intro
"The design is wrong".  As I noted in my post (with seeming contradiction), I
would leave to those involved in design, like yourself, to determine with
certainty whether the design is wrong.  So it might have been more accurate
if I had written, "The design is undeliberate, without plan."  Or maybe not.
Maybe the retrofitter worked those numbers, listened to the finished piano,
and was satisfied.  But we have no idea.

If we can get past the emotionally charged issues of duplexing, brand names
and the like....(Please forgive me for my careless, giddy enjoyment.)

I was looking forward to your comments on the issue of string backlength
distance (maybe even mechanical hinging, but I will stick to backlength
here).  As I pointed out, I would leave it up to those more comfortable with
design, like yourself, to determine whether the change was significant.  But
my point was that the backlength distance had increased from the original
duplex rest point to the hitchpin location, and that seemed to me to be a
design change.   I hoped you might comment on that beyond your remarks so
far.  I assume that what you have had to say is your position (I will guess
below what that is), but would be very interested in any additional,
substantive thoughts on the subject.

That is, in the total scheme of things what importance is there to backlength
distance beyond calculating for downbearing angle?  What would increasing the
distance on the "D" from the duplex point to the hitchpin result in?  I used
the word "impedance" with the abbreviation "SB" which you said "does not
compute."  Is this inappropriate terminology?  Certainly just increasing the
overall backlength by a certain average distance could reduce the stiffness
of the strung soundboard mechanism by a measurable, calculable amount.  Is
this correct?  From the point of view of those of you who are involved with
design, what does this result in?  Decreased power, longer decay?
Opportunity to further increase downbearing angle on a healthy new board?

Or is it completely insignificant?

What I am guessing from your response is that in your view, in the total
scheme of things (re: Scott's modified Steinway "D"), the increased
versatility of the vertical pin outweighs the need to control backlength
distance (at  least on the limited increased distance in this piano).   Or
not?   And beyond the "D" to the generic retrofit, When would you want to
begin to make some kind of adjustment for the increased backlength resulting
from the placement of vertical pin retrofits at existing hitchpin locations?
How much difference would you be willing to "blow off" before it became
important in some way?

With neck retracted,

Bill