Workload formula

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed May 29 11:03 MDT 2002

In a message dated 5/29/02 11:19:14 AM Central Daylight Time,
jab367@email.byu.edu writes:

> I'm refering to the abilities
> and experience of the technician. Where some technicians are very slow and

When I did a survey many years ago, I found tuning times varied from 30
minutes to 2 hours. And these were all "experienced" RPT's. Regulation and
repair times varied considerably also. If I followed the work time pamphlet
put out by the PTG, I would get bored. I seem to be able to work at a pace
almost twice as fast as what is recommended.

The problem you brought up, I think, is the same with the administrative time
I referred to earlier. Some techs do not have to worry about administrative
work. Other have to spend considerable time on it. It all depends on each
individual situation, and how much detailed paper work is required in each
situation.

Not to blow my own horn on this, but this is where a formula I devised might
be better suited. Although the CAUT formula gives an overall idea of how many
techs are needed, etc., a time factor formula can be much easier adapted to
each individual person and situation. While I can record 30 minutes to do a
tuning, you can adjust the formula to 90 minutes.

But the formula as it is, should be taken as an average. If you are a slow
worker, recognize that, and either make adjustments, or try to learn to work
faster. If you are a fast worker, take some time off.

Just my opinion.

Wim