Statement?

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed May 22 18:08 MDT 2002

jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu writes:

> So then, what is the best method for establishing the salary of an
> institutional piano technician?

Jeff:  et all

Arguing that "unskilled" workers in the private sector make more money than
'government workers" is as old as the government itself. Teachers with
Masters and 30 years experience make less than automobile manufacturer
assembly line workers with 5 years of experience.

My point was that if our profession wants to be treated as fairly as
possible, we have to look at the pay scale at the institution for which we
are going to work. If a professional staff member, one who is not teaching,
but is considered highly trained, even with a degree, is making x number of
dollars, then that is what a piano technician should get paid. We should not
be lumped in with secretaries or maintenance people.

Wim