non-productive time

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu May 2 16:01 MDT 2002

The one thing that has been bothering me the most about the CAUT formula is
that there is no way of including the non-productive hours we spend. I don't
know if anyone else has thought about how to figure this, but I have a
possible solution. It is done by using the "alternative" way to figure the
formula.

# 4) says (alternatively, 2000 / by Recommended Workload = number of hours of
service per piano per year.) The 2000 represents 40 hours a week for a 52
weeks, less 2 weeks of vacation. By using that formula we can also include
the non-productive hours.

Here is what I did, assuming the following: 4 weeks of vacation, 6 paid
holidays, and 8 hours a week of non-productive.

52 weeks times 40 hours a week = 2080. Less 4 weeks of vacation (80 hours),
less 6 paid holidays (48 hours), plus 8 hours a week for 48 weeks, (348 hrs),
= 2300 hours. Divide 2300 by the workload factor, which gives you the average
number of hours per piano per year. Multiply that figure times the number of
pianos, and multiply that by the number of weeks you work, and you'll come up
with the number of hours you work per week, including the non-productive
time.

My workload factor is .8, which represents 32 hours a week. But by including
the non-productive time, and doing the math as above, my time increased to
37.5 hours per week, which is considered full time, or a workload factor of
1. Maybe for some of you this might make a difference between being paid full
time or part time.

Wim