workload simplified

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Thu May 2 10:49 MDT 2002

Vince,
Just curious, but how much extra time is devoted to watering those
Dampp-Chaser systems and have you incorporated that into your time savings?
Ours here burn water year-round (I still don't understand why the
humidifier's using a bucket of water every two weeks in 70% humidity) so
servicing Dampp-Chasers is something to consider even during "breaks".  In
our situation, the Dampp-Chasers haven't changed the number of tunings I
do, just sort of kept the madness to a little less of an extreme.

Jeff

>Fred, et. al.,
>I would like to comment on the humidity variance factor.  I have found that
>before dampp chasers were installed in piano faculty studios, to
>adequately keep
>them in tune, I did full tunings on them every two weeks.  With the systems
>installed, I would go in every week and just tweak the tuning (10 min.),
>after a
>full tuning once per month.  We have humidity swings of about 30% on average.
>This works out to be 9 hours worth of work per semester before the dampp
>chaser,
>and 6 hours after it was installed.
>It seems to me that more than 30% humidity variance would not have necessarily
>increased the 9 hours, because the brunt of the changes would happen between
>seasons.  So I think that variances in humidity may have its limits.
>vince

Jeff Tanner
Piano Technician
School of Music