keyframe bedding

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri Mar 22 08:56 MST 2002

Jeff,
	That sounds like typical dry weather condition. Steinway front rails
being "sprung" (up on ends, down in middle, relying on key blocks to
pull outer ends down), drying out means a gap appears on one or other
end (usually both). It's seasonal, so removing cardboard shims from the
key blocks (if any is left) will cure the problem for now, but you'll
end up with binding in the wet summer. And back and forth through the
years. I've replaced the - uh, what are those called, where's the
nomenclature book when I need it - thingies that actually bear down on
the keyframe pins with the adjustable Yamaha type with considerable
success.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico