Choosing Parts

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Mon Jul 29 16:20 MDT 2002

Avery

I tried to keep the original 16 mm dimension, and indeed the modern
hammers we find actually will be way more heavier apparently, than the
original ones (I try with a special order from Renner, same kind of
the "Renner lites" but I asked for a specific weight, and even with a
lot of shaping and thinning, the piano was really too heavy.

It is possible to install 17 mm shanks actually, then if you keep the
original whippen you have the choice to add a little 0.8 mm /1mm
cardboard shim  to align the jack, or to chisel the whippen lever
window to allow the jack to be farther.

I would stick to a 10mm deep as a good deep as a generality, and deal
with the hammer travel to have the correct after touch.

The cardboard shim tend to slow the repetition and the action can
easily feel mushy, with the springs having to be too strong. Sometime
a thinner shim gives a good compromise.
Anyway anything between the flange and the rail will take some energy
and precision off the action. It is probably better to play with the
jack aperture if possible.

I've seen an elegant solution once that consist of rounding the edge
of the jack the result being a smoother letoff and a better position
under the roller. Did not try it myself but the result was good touch
(mod B )

Hope it helps.

Isaac OLEG

Isaac OLEG