Choosing Parts

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Tue Jul 23 09:36 MDT 2002

Avery:

The sample kit is a wonderful resource.  Take one note, say C-40, and
put on a wippen, shank and dry fit hammer and regulate them.  See how
they feel.  Measure the up-weight & down-weight.  Try a different
shank.  Do the same.  Whatever measures out, and feels the best, buy
them.  I tend to disagree with Lloyd on the 17mm knuckle shank, I
think it can work on some Steinways.  It does allow for a heavier
hammer and the cost of only a slight increase in dip.  Before the
sample kit was available, I used to order parts by Steinway's
recommendation for the time period of the piano.  I had one with all
the "correct" parts that played like a truck.  Just try different
parts and see what you get.

dave

On 7/23/2002 at 9:03 AM Avery Todd wrote:

>List,
>
>Anyone have experience choosing parts from the Renner Parts Kit
>for an older Steinway 'M' (1925). Below is from Lloyd:
>
>>We recommend restoring all quality pianos, particularly of this
>>vintage, to their original design, using original dimension parts.
>>In the case of Steinway, this cannot be determined by the serial
>>number due to the way those pianos were designed at crafted at
>>that time. This is why we designed the Sample Parts Kit. Simply
>>test the different shanks & flanges and wippens in the piano to
>>determine the best fit. For example, your piano will have angled
>>capstans, so one might assume the angled heel wippen to be the
>>best choice. The capstan angles varied considerably at that time,
>>and it's possible the straight heel will actually work better.
>>You have three different shanks & flanges for Steinway and two
>>basic wippen designs in your Kit. The 17.0mm shank was never used
>>in the original Steinway pianos so you can rule that one out.
>>Test all the others in the piano to determine the best combination.
>
>I have the kit but I need some advice on what, specifically, I
>should be looking for, etc. to determine that "best fit". The piano
>(or action) isn't in the shop yet but will be soon. Any advice
>appreciated.
>
>An old dog trying to learn new tricks.
>Avery
>University of Houston