removing a plate by myself

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu Jul 18 10:30 MDT 2002

Wim,
	You don't need to hang the hoist from the existing ceiling. What I do
is brace a beam against the ceiling. I use a 4 x 6 beam, held up tight
against the ceiling with two 2 x 6's, each with an appropriate notch cut
to hold the 4 x 6. As long as it is fit firmly (a wedge or two helps),
it works just great.
	I've always removed plates solo. I have a chain hoist from Grainger
(pretty big force multiplier/reduction) I like a lot - I can pull down
on the chain with one hand, guide the plate with the other. Holds the
plate wherever I leave it. For larger pianos, I add a block and tackle
(rope) with a brake, using the chain hoist for the front (strapped to
two points, balanced), the rope in the back (need an additional beam for
that). I've pulled and replaced a plate from a concert grand, no
problem, with this technique. Pull each up a couple inches in turn. Use
some metal flashing (aluminum or galvanized, available any building
supply house) around the rim to avoid scrapes.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> A couple of months ago I asked for advice on removing a plate by
> myself. I didn't get too many responses, but one person, (who shall
> remain nameless), gave a suggestion that helped me come up with a
> solution to my problem.
>
> As you know, when I moved to my new shop at the university, I did not
> have any way of hanging a hoist on the ceiling, as I had done in my
> other shops.
<snip>