Genuine Steinway Action Rails Split

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Fri Jul 12 11:23 MDT 2002

Hi Ron,

    Well....that's a good question.
    If it doesn't work at all and you have to throw out the rail and start
over, that's definately not accurate enough.
    If you put it together, and it takes two miserable days to align
everything and it took 300 pieces of traveling paper, that's not accurate
enough.
    If you put it together and it takes a few hours to get it aligned, I
guess that's a genuine Steinway part. John Dewey will drill using the
original as a model.  That won't correct pre-existing shortfalls of
perfection, it will just perfectly dupilicate them.
    Del's comments are certainly worth considering, but in this case I am
contracted to rebuild an action, not redesign the piano. The action is in
such bad shape that just getting it into the range of "normal Steinway" will
be a great improvement.
    Ron, your class gave us lots to think about, both on the theoretical and
practical sides, and big fix and little fix sides.  I wish more classes had
been like that.

        Ed