Genuine Steinway Action Rails Split

Fri Jul 12 10:36 MDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@cox.net>
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: July 12, 2002 8:53 AM
Subject: Re: Genuine Steinway Action Rails Split

> Hi Ed,
>
> I was wondering, from a practical standpoint, just how accurate is
accurate
> enough? And accurate to what standard? If you were to measure the string
> spacing at the strike line of these pianos and compare them one to another
> of the same model, do you suppose you would find that the pianos are built
> any more accurately than the rails are drilled? What's the point of
> reference for accuracy determination?

Ideally the hammershanks should leave the hammershank rail at exactly 90º
and, when properly travelled and with the hammer square to the shank, the
hammer should impact the string set square and on center.

Also ideally, the wippen should leave the wippen rail at exactly 90º and,
when properly squared and traveled, should be centered under the hammershank
and centered to the key and capstan.

All of this assumes, of course, that the action is installed to the correct
depth in the action cavity.

I don't know about recent Steinway action rails, but it is quite rare to
find an action frame and rail set in an older piano in here for
remanufacturing that is aligned and/or drilled in a way that conforms to
these standards.

Del