Genuine Steinway Action Rails Split

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri Jul 12 09:57 MDT 2002

>I attended John Dewey's class.  His equipment is wonderful.  It took him
>several weeks to build it, and it would take a lot of space to store it.
>John says that Steinway rails aren't accurate enough, which means you would
>have to gear up to drill your own, or use his service.
>
>On the other hand, Jim Geiger wrote an article in the April 2002 Journal
>which presents a very servicable method of replacing brass rails.  Jim said
>the factory rails were very accurately drilled.
>
>Therefore, I'm curious if anyone can report first-hand experience of buying
>Steinway factory drilled rails, and finding that the drilling was not
>accurate.
>
>Thanks.
>Ed S.

Hi Ed,

I was wondering, from a practical standpoint, just how accurate is accurate
enough? And accurate to what standard? If you were to measure the string
spacing at the strike line of these pianos and compare them one to another
of the same model, do you suppose you would find that the pianos are built
any more accurately than the rails are drilled? What's the point of
reference for accuracy determination?

Also, in passing, I can't help but wonder (considering the thread title),
is anyone out there offering faux Steinway action rails?

Ron N