Genuine Steinway Action Rails Split

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Fri Jul 12 09:04 MDT 2002

I attended John Dewey's class.  His equipment is wonderful.  It took him
several weeks to build it, and it would take a lot of space to store it.
John says that Steinway rails aren't accurate enough, which means you would
have to gear up to drill your own, or use his service.

On the other hand, Jim Geiger wrote an article in the April 2002 Journal
which presents a very servicable method of replacing brass rails.  Jim said
the factory rails were very accurately drilled.

Therefore, I'm curious if anyone can report first-hand experience of buying
Steinway factory drilled rails, and finding that the drilling was not
accurate.

Thanks.
Ed S.