Voicing

Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre baldwin@mta-01.sk.sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 11 13:22 MDT 2002

>     Too much weight in the capo section will cause too much damping, and
>poor sustain. You need to do something to get the hammer to shove off the
>string faster. I think this is what Roger is doing.
>     Hey, Roger, chime in here.
>         Ed S.

Hi ED,
              Too much weight in the treble, tends towards a woody knock
like tone. Darn this is hard to put in print. <G>  The lighter the hammer
in the treble, the less explosive the fundamental, and better the harmonic
development. A heavy hammer tends to sound in your face, and can lack good
singing quality. (poor sustain)   Over centreing due to reshaping, will
increase the dwell time of the hammer on the string, so the hammer starts
to become self muting. Not a lot of solutions, other than changing the
hammers.  I have proved this to my own satisfaction, by plugging and re
boring some old hammers.  With reshaping you are also moving the strike
line forward. So, some times you can use 'FUDGE 101'   and reposition the
action a little, to gain some improvement.
Lets face it, this is a do what you can type of job.
Regards Roger