Voicing

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Thu Jul 11 07:47 MDT 2002

Vince-
    Extra weight will make the hammer stay in contact with the string a
little longer, so it will dampen a few more high partials.  To some degree
adding weight is similar to softening the hammer. But it's easier to reverse
if it doesn't help.
    It is worth trying on a piano with over filed hammers, if your school
has any like that...:^)
    Also a little more weight gives the pianist a feeling of more control if
the down weight was getting too low. At least this is how I understand it
today. The more underweight the hammers are to begin with, the more obvious
the result.
    Too much weight in the capo section will cause too much damping, and
poor sustain. You need to do something to get the hammer to shove off the
string faster. I think this is what Roger is doing.
    Hey, Roger, chime in here.
        Ed S.