Voicing

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 10 16:10 MDT 2002

I suspect the strikepoint is off and will adjust when I re-hang.  Moving
strings in the capo section is the one thing I haven't done and plan to.
Roger, do you mean literally tap the pin top itself, not the string on the
cap?  Would this push string down as well as _slightly_ push pins into new
wood(tightening pin)? No advice on the hammers themselves, huh?
 This piano is not horrible as is, I am just wanting to get the most out of
these hammers for the week.  The director just learned that another contest
in (Utah?)he attended last month only let their contestants practice on the
performance instruments about 30 min each per day, WAY LESS than they were
allowing here and at least they are finally listening to my cries on that
point. Steinway brought in a Hamburg and NY D for that along with a tech.
(free) Maybe I can swap gigs with that tech....  ;~) Thanks again,

lance

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Baldwin
Yamaha Piano Centre
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 3:47 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Voicing

Hi Lance,
                  Moving the strings on the capo bar and lifting them will
often help increase power and reduce the 'zings'.  Give all the bridge pins
a tap, this will help seat the strings on the bridge, get rid of some
'falsies' and help sustain.  Re evaluate the piano after this is done, you
may be pleasantly surprised.
It will take a couple of tunings to get the piano stable again.
Regards Roger

At 01:58 PM 7/10/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi list,
>I have a situation coming up that I thought was common, but not talked
about
>in detail much.  I will be prepping and maintaining a Steinway D next week
>for a week-long competition with recitals,etc.  Very good players,
>often-times Van Cliburn contestants/winners (12).  This piano has been
>approved to get new Hammers, Shanks, flanges, damper felt, and maybe back
>checks, but not in time for the competition.  The hammers have been filed
>many times, running out of felt with some areas weak, lots of nasty
>twang/buzz.  I have leveled strings, seated them and fit hammers to
strings,
>but I suspect most of the problem is in the hammers.  The piano is from mid
>80's. These hammers have been worked on and stabbed by several techs, so I
>don't know the whole history.
>The Question:  What are some of the common (if any) remedies needed on
older
>hammers in this situation.  Do you sometimes have to harden again after
much
>needling, (weak areas) do specific needling, (noise) after this much use?
>Are there common procedures followed to extend the usefulness and increase
>the quality of tone in these older hammers?  I would appreciate input from
>the experience out there. Thanks,
>
>Lance Lafargue, RPT
>Mandeville, LA
>New Orleans Chapter, PTG