Voicing

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 10 12:59 MDT 2002

Hi list,
I have a situation coming up that I thought was common, but not talked about
in detail much.  I will be prepping and maintaining a Steinway D next week
for a week-long competition with recitals,etc.  Very good players,
often-times Van Cliburn contestants/winners (12).  This piano has been
approved to get new Hammers, Shanks, flanges, damper felt, and maybe back
checks, but not in time for the competition.  The hammers have been filed
many times, running out of felt with some areas weak, lots of nasty
twang/buzz.  I have leveled strings, seated them and fit hammers to strings,
but I suspect most of the problem is in the hammers.  The piano is from mid
80's. These hammers have been worked on and stabbed by several techs, so I
don't know the whole history.
The Question:  What are some of the common (if any) remedies needed on older
hammers in this situation.  Do you sometimes have to harden again after much
needling, (weak areas) do specific needling, (noise) after this much use?
Are there common procedures followed to extend the usefulness and increase
the quality of tone in these older hammers?  I would appreciate input from
the experience out there. Thanks,

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter, PTG