you can pay me now

Donald McKechnie dmckech@ithaca.edu
Sat Jul 6 09:43 MDT 2002

Vince,

Gertrude Steinway, as she was named by a former professor at IC, had the
"works" done at Steinway in the 50's. My guess is that was the only
soundboard replacement but I cannot be certain. I replaced the pinblock,
strings and action parts about 12 years ago. She also got a new coat.
The keysticks could stand to be replaced and the action frame needs some
attention as well. But, the rim is in good condition so she could last
quite some time as I see it. Perhaps another soundboard in 20 years? Not
bad for 115 years old! How long will it be before we can get our old
parts replaced? :)

Who knows how long pianos like this can last as a viable instrument.
There are many out there. Unfortunately, none of us will be around in
100 years to see how well the current quality Asian pianos will last in
academia. Anybody know a fortune teller?

Don