Newsletter

Scott Thile scott.thile@murraystate.edu
Tue Jul 2 14:24 MDT 2002

Hello folks,

Ever since I was editing the newsletter (two issues, one in '96 and one in
'97) I have wondered if a newsletter was really an asset to us in today's
E-based world. All of the information is either available already , or could
very easily be made available via E-mail or the CAUT website. It is much
cheaper to deliver it that way (it's free actually) and it takes much less
volunteer effort to do it. Information can also be kept much more current.

I think we should consider dropping the paper Newsletter and concentrate our
efforts elsewhere. A newsletter mailed out once every year or two is just
not going to be effective at anything. I would guess that virtually all full
time CAUTs either have access to the internet in their shops or can easily
gain access thru a computer lab nearby. Contract and part time CAUTs very
likely have access at homes or their shops. If people want a hard copy of
something we deliver to them on the web they can print it out. Others,
without access to the internet, could either ask a friend to print it out,
or perhaps the Home Office could do that and mail it to the limited number
of techs that would be involved.

An occasional E-mail to a general music department E-mail list (like NASM or
something?) could be sent notifying piano faculty, piano techs, and
administrators about our existence and web URL. Perhaps we should consider
doing that after the Guidelines document and formula are ready? We could
even have an online tech calculator based on the revised formula.

Interest in the Newsletter was waning while I was editor. No one was
interested in publishing articles or sending me anything else to be
published. I bet that hasn't changed any, and, of course, more of us have
access to the internet every day.

I find it hard to justify the time and money (dues money) that it costs to
support a mailed out Newsletter.

Scott
--------
Scott E. Thile, RPT
Piano - Instrument Technician
Manager, Lovett Auditorium
Murray State University, Murray, KY
mailto:scott.thile@murraystate.edu
Revised & Redesigned (Work Website)
http://campus.murraystate.edu/staff/scott.thile/index.html
New (My faith)
http://campus.murraystate.edu/staff/scott.thile/Christian/index.html
(Ham Radio Website )
http://campus.murraystate.edu/staff/scott.thile/k4set/index.html
(Family Website)
http://campus.murraystate.edu/staff/scott.thile/family/index.htm
(Nickel Creek Website) http://www.nickelcreek.com/
"If we see some admirable work of human art, we are at once eager to
investigate the nature, the manner, the end of its production; and the
contemplation of the works of God stirs us with an incomparably greater
longing to learn the principles, the method, the purpose of creation. This
desire, this passion, has without doubt been implanted in us by God. And as
the eye seeks light, as our body craves food, so our mind is impressed with
the .... natural desire to know the truth of God and the causes of what we
observe."   [Grigen (185-254 AD, student of, and successor to Clement of
Alexandria.]