Guidelines Question

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Tue Jul 2 13:04 MDT 2002

Fred, Jeff, List:

Like Fred, I, too, am still recovering from the convention, and just barely
able to keep following this discussion while trying to catch up with the shop
and field work (the life of the part-time CAUT).  However, I think there is
one thing that we could add to the Guidelines along with the revised
Forward/Introduction:  How To Use This Document.   It might include elements
of the following explanation.

The workload formula is not the only part of the Guidelines.  It is that
portion which provides a way of figuring staffing need.  In my presentation
at the Symposium I addressed the need to provide a report which assists the
school in long range planning.

First, in many schools pianos are deteriorated, and a short term plan needs
to address this, say, over 5 years (this will, of course, vary).  This can
include inventory replacement, intensive rebuilding, or a combination of
both.  If the rebuilding is contracted out, the staff technician may only
have to add the administrative and prep work related to this contracting,
along with the additional tuning of new/rebuilt pianos.  (This can be also
expressed in the workload formula, but if the work is not in-house a separate
document is essential.)  If the rebuilding is done in-house, the staffing
must be increased during this short term period.   The workload formula will
be directly useful here.

Second, the normal maintenance workload anticipated for the entire planning
period should be assessed.  The Guidelines workload formula is directly
helpful here.

Finally, there are other costs discussed in the Guidelines which the workload
formula does not address:  building and maintaining a parts inventory; the
office and related costs, etc.  These need to be factored into the smaller
school contract tech position too, one way or another, at the percentages
relevant to the full-time ratio of this position.

While most schools cannot control their financial future adequately over 20
years, it needs to know what to plan for, and how the present program fits
into that plan.  Therefore the report should include a long term plan
complete with as much detail as the school can afford to pay you to provide.

I agree that the workload formula as presented by Fred Sturm at the Symposium
is as close as ever to being able to reflect the real world needs of a
school.   My gratitude goes to Fred, and all those who have kept up the
dialogue and numbers-crunching (including Jeff - I'm sure others would agree
that you were still present in Chicago through your contributions on the CAUT
list!).  The additional revisions of the Guidelines to make if relevant to
all school situations, including the smaller school with contract
technicians, provide a necessary context for the workload formula.   When you
present your school's workload numbers in this planning context of meeting
short term need, long term maintenance and additional budget/administrative
need, the formula will seem the most realistic and comprehensible.

Bill Shull, RPT
Co-Chair, CAUT Committee