Guidelines Question

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Tue Jul 2 09:35 MDT 2002

Avery,
Bear in mind that the new revisions to the formula are not designed to
produce a result which necessarily reflects the actual need of the
inventory, but also take into account real world understaffing, so that
administrators won't laugh at you when you tell them you really need 3.6
technicians.

Mine laughs at me (well, he doesn't laugh, but the look on his face is more
like, "you've got to be kidding") when I say I need money to rebuild one of
those 70's Steinways.

I hate that I had to miss the convention.  I REALLY wanted to go this year.
Just couldn't prioritize the extra out of pocket expense.  Believe me, I
tried.  I'd love to hear what happened at the symposium.

Jeff

>Fred and List,
>
>Hope everyone enjoyed the convention and learned a lot. Since I
>wasn't able to go this year, I decided to use some time (finally)
>to enter the data into the CAUT Guidelines thing.
>
>For those of you who have done this, I have a question.
>
>After entering everything, the techs needed came to 1.125, using
>the box totals on the side of the Excel worksheet. Considering
>the number of pianos (133), the condition of about 20 Steinway
>L's and a few Yamaha (most all 1970's) and our recital/performance
>load, I'm sure that number should be higher.
>
>I think the reason it came out this way is because in the Condition
>category, I put the 1970's Steinways and Yamahas in the Fair
>category because I feel they don't need a new soundboard yet. Or
>even a new pin block in most instances. However, they do need
>everything else, including restringing.
>
>My question is should I change all those into the poor category
>since that's the only place where restringing is mentioned?
>
>What are your thoughts/suggestions about this? Thanks.
>
>Avery
>University of Houston

Jeff Tanner
Piano Technician