Broken TP

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu Jan 31 06:54 MST 2002

<< Anyone have a good way to extract a broken tuning pin
on a new Baldwin Hamilton? There's about 1/4" still
extending beyond the plate but it's EXTREMELY tight
in the block! >>

The attachement with the reverse female internal theads(!) that fits your
star tip might just do it, but there is some prep needed first.  I think you
would want to grind the face of the tip so that the thread engagement begins
as soon as the tool is placed over the pin.  It will be easy to strip the
"one-shot"threads you will make on the broken pin unless you get engagement
from the get-go.  I used mine once, and I had to grind into the bottom of the
tool until I had to tap it on the broken stub with a hammer to get it
started.
   It will help if you can heat the pin until it is just too hot to touch,
then let it cool a little.
Good luck, this isn't anything like a sure bet.
REgards,
ed