hammer irons?

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Fri Jan 25 16:07 MST 2002

Tim Coates is right in his concern about scorching the hammer felt.  The way
I solve that is to have a rheostat in the circuit.  I have an extension cord
wired up with an ordinary light-dimmer switch.  I can use this with any heat
tool, e.g., hot key bushing iron, shank bending pliers, etc.  Easy to keep
the heat just right.  (Be sure not to run motors or electronic equipment
through the rheostat.  That can wreck 'em.)

             -     Tom McNeil     -
Vermont Piano Restorations

"Now let me see," the Golux said. "If you can touch the clocks and never
start them, then you can start the clocks and never touch them. That's logic,
as I know and use it...."
-- James Thurber, "The 13 Clocks"