Temp fluctuation affect?

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu Jan 24 11:21 MST 2002

Even in a sealed system, I believe water would migrate from wood to air
with a rise in temperature (and corresponding lowering of rh). And would
migrate back to wood with a lowering of temp (and corresponding rising
of rh). The amount of moisture in the sealed system would remain
constant. It would just move from atmospheric (gaseous) to liquid and
vice versa.
	The fact that wood is involved adds the factor of its "hygroscopic
attraction" (or whatever that should be called), but to make it more
simple, suppose you just have a dish of water in an enclosed space. As
temperature increases, less water will be in the dish, and more in the
air. And vice versa. I expect it's largely a matter of energy being
available, and the water molecules taking advantage of its presence to
become gaseous (not a scientific way to put it, but kinda sorta what
happens).
	Or am I missing something?
Free Sturm
University of New Mexico