Temp fluctuation affect?

Rick Florence Rick.Florence@ASU.Edu
Wed Jan 23 12:25 MST 2002

Trying to make sense of all this...

Ray, although I follow your argument, I don't think we can assume that a
room or a house is a sealed container.  Heated air, because of heightened
molecular movement (of course you know this - allow me to babble) will
require more volume at the same atmospheric pressure.  Since we are not
increasing atmospheric pressure (a sealed container), the excess air has to
go somewhere (in an attempt to equalize) and leaves the room, house or
whatever, taking whatever moisture it is holding with it.  Conversely, as
air is cooled (I know - not cooled, looses heat) does the lower volume
requirement not draw air from outside the house and bring in with it
whatever moisture it is holding?  It would seem to me that this would be at
least a partial explanation to why a piano will accept and lose moisture
with movements in temperature.  Total moisture will fluctuate as the air,
and the moisture it is carrying, flows back and forth.

Concerning the original question of temperature variations, I think we have
missed an important issue (or maybe I wasn't paying attention). What happens
to the strings and plate with the changes.  We all know what happens to our
tunings in a concert hall when the stage door is opened and the room
temperature changes rapidly.  These changes in our tunings can't possibly
come from moisture concerns, as the effect is almost immediate.  Or think of
what happens in the middle of a tuning when the sun comes through the window
and hits a portion of the strings.

Whether the concern is temperature or moisture related, I wouldn't want my
name on a tuning of a piano whose environment changes 10-12 degrees on a
daily basis. At least not without some sort of disclaimer.

Rick

>> Sorry, guys.
>>
>> I've taught science too many years to accept that the relative humidity
>> change has anything to do with the change in wood moisture content.
>> Relative humidity changes as temperature changes, but the actual amount of
>> moisture may indeed stay the same.  I understand all about dew point, etc.,
>> but actual moisture content does not change because the relative humidity
>> does UNLESS the temperature stays the same.
>>
>> A sealed container of air (or wood)may hold X amount of moisture.  If it is
>> heated, its relative humidity goes down, because it is capable of holding
>> more moisture at a higher temperature.  The converse is true upon cooling.
>> True, wood being a solid, there is less difference caused by temperature
>> than in air.  But the content doesn't necessarily change with the relative
>> humidity reading which depends upon the temperature at which the humidity
>> reading is taken.
>>
>> Ray T. Bentley, RPT
>> Alton, IL
>>
>> Ready to retire this spring after 37+ years of teaching.

Rick Florence
Piano Technician
Arizona State University, School of Music