Temp fluctuation affect?

vem@email.byu.edu vem@email.byu.edu
Wed Jan 23 07:36 MST 2002

Maybe the key here is "sealed container of air" vs. unsealed.  I am able to dry
out a soundboard simply by heating the area around it up, but I have to vent it
to allow moisture from the wood to escape...  Just an average joe trying to
understand.

- Sorry, guys.
-
- I've taught science too many years to accept that the relative humidity
- change has anything to do with the change in wood moisture content.
- Relative humidity changes as temperature changes, but the actual amount of
- moisture may indeed stay the same.  I understand all about dew point, etc.,
- but actual moisture content does not change because the relative humidity
- does UNLESS the temperature stays the same.
-
- A sealed container of air (or wood)may hold X amount of moisture.  If it is
- heated, its relative humidity goes down, because it is capable of holding
- more moisture at a higher temperature.  The converse is true upon cooling.
- True, wood being a solid, there is less difference caused by temperature
- than in air.  But the content doesn't necessarily change with the relative
- humidity reading which depends upon the temperature at which the humidity
- reading is taken.
-
- Ray T. Bentley, RPT
- Alton, IL
-
- Ready to retire this spring after 37+ years of teaching.

vince mrykalo