Temp fluctuation affect?

Michael Jorgensen jorge1ml@cmich.edu
Tue Jan 22 13:56 MST 2002

Hi Ray,
     You are correct that changing the temperature does not reduce the actual
amount of water chemically held in the air.  But the amount of water held
chemically is not what we feel.  Relative humidity  (RH) is what is felt and
what affects wood etc.  It is essentially the % of saturation.
     Lowering temperature increases RH.  The dew point is that temperature where
there is complete saturation or 100% RH.  Lowering the temperature beyond the
dew point results in condensation, removing actual water out of the air, and
also releases latent heat.  A dehumidifier coil cools air past the dew point so
water is removed from the air.   A heating rod or "dehumidifier bar" simply
heats the air in the piano, thereby lowering relative humidity.  Latent heat is
stored energy in the chemical process of evaporation, which is released upon
condensation.   It cannot be felt until it is released by condensation.   Like
latent heat, actual amount of water in the air is not measured, as it is held
chemically.  It can be calculated though using RH, temperature, and dew point.
     The higher the dew point is, the more moisture is actually in the air.  I
hope that explains my reasoning.

-Mike