Steinway legs & castors

Tim Coates tim.coates@wapin.com
Tue Jan 22 06:01 MST 2002

I also ditto Ron's remarks.  I had to deal with a SSD another piano service
company had installed the leg dollies.  It gave the perception to the
performance hall personnel that the piano could easily be moved anywhere.
Needless to say it couldn't.  The back leg snapped it two and the tail went
done to the floor going over a small bump.  It took 6 weeks to get a
replacement leg from Steinway (after being promised delivery in 5 days).  The
first question  I asked when told what happened was, "Was anyone hurt?".
Pianos can be replaced.  People can not.  Safety first.  My contention is that
the other piano service company is partly to blame for the accident.  If
someone were hurt I'm sure a lawyer may have start ed to look into who was
responsible.  I believe the catalogues state quite clearly that the leg
dollies are not to replace a piano truck.

The performance hall didn't like the looks of a truck.  They opted to install
casters and buy a transporter.  The piano sounds  better and there is less
stress on the legs.  The legs are not involved in moving what so ever.

Tim Coates