CTE-Master Tuning

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed Jan 9 12:05 MST 2002

Yet another addendum: It occurs to me this might be a "false beat"
issue. False beats occur (putting it as simply as possible) when an
individual string produces in excess of one pitch (at any given
partial), usually due to termination problems. The SAT, and probably
other ETD's as well, can read these discrete pitches. Sometimes you can
obtain an initial reading, with some flickering of lights involved, and
then, by moving and changing alignment of the SAT, can find both a
definite sharp reading AND a definite flat reading.
	So, depending how the SAT is aligned, it might well be possible to
reproduce a different pitch on the same string using the same input.
This is why it is so important to eliminate falsity to the extent
possible before master tuning, and keep it eliminated when testing
(bridge pins can get loose, ride up on bridge pins, etc over time). And
another reason why aural verification is an essential redundancy in the
test, and why we shouldn't turn off our ears when turning on our
machines.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico